Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Holiness In Your Apparel

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."
1 Timothy 2:9 " In a like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array." 

Holiness isn't just something we can be in our attitude and walk with God, but it's something that we can be in how we dress. Being Apostolic, I get asked so many questions about why I wear skirts all the time and why my hair is long and uncut. I will touch on those questions in a later post, but I'm going to talk about being modest in women's apparel. Modesty in its definition means having or showing regards for the decencies of behavior, speech, dress etc., decency. 
1 Timothy 2:9 says that women should adorn themselves with modest apparel. I didn't make that up, it came right from the Bible. You'd think the concept of modesty is a foreign speculation to the women of the 21st century. We look around and everywhere we look we see women and even young girls giving their bodies up for the attention of men. Ladies, we shouldn't be worrying about what men of this world think about us. All they really want is sexual things, and to use us for their own selfish ways. When ladies dress in a way that shows off their legs and chest, it's not pleasing to God. 1 Corinthians 16:20 says that we were bought with a price, and because of that we must glorify God with our body AND in our spirit. It's not enough to look the part. Ladies could wear skirts down to their ankles and their sleeves to their finger tips and turtlenecks, but that doesn't matter if our spirit isn't in the mindset to please God. Our price was him dying on the cross for our sins, we need to take hold of what God has done for us and learn that we can't disrespect him by the things we wear. 

We need to be shamefaced of what we wear. Shamefaced is basically being ashamed. No one wants to be ashamed. I don't like it when I feel ashamed of what I've done knowing it was displeasing to my parents or to God. If we know with scriptural backup that being modest is pleasing to God and anything that shows off our body in inappropriate ways is displeasing to God, we should be ashamed of it. Being ashamed isn't always a bad thing. It can help us know when we are doing something wrong that goes against God's word. 
I have this amazing New Living Translation Study Bible, I use it when I need clarification on verses. 

I read 1 Timothy 2:9-10 (NLT) "And I want women not to draw attention in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes. For women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good they do." 
Wearing appropriate clothing is self explanatory. But it also talks about not drawing attention to yourself with expensive clothes and decorating your hair. I'm going to admit that I love to shop and I love to spend money on clothes and I want to look nice and presentable wherever I go. I also love doing my hair fancy for church and other special occasions. I don't think God wants us to give up looking nice and smelling good. We just need to do it in moderation, being humble and not being vain about what we wear and how we look. That's when it will become an issue and it could make you corrupt in your ways. 
We need to make sure we are humble and strive to be like him each day, and be holy because God is holy. 

Ephesians 16:18 "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." 




No comments:

Post a Comment